Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

A guest blogger: Grace

My plane flight to South Africa lasted 36 hours. Honestly, I can’t remember a time in my life where I was alone for 36 hours straight. Sure I’ve traveled by myself before, but nothing compared to this journey. All of that alone time made me realize how much I crave relationships and how thankful I am for each relationship in my life- my family, Neal, my Guntersville friends, my Auburn friends, my Colorado friends, my classmates, and the list goes on and on. When I finally arrived in Durban, though, I realized that my relationship with Kate Balducci is one that brings me indescribable joy and warmth. Throughout my flights and layovers I kept thinking to myself, “I wonder if Kate will cry when I arrive…” Funny thing is that I was the person who choked up upon my arrival. While I was waiting for my luggage, I could see Lauren and Kate waiting for me behind the glass doors. Kate was holding a sign that said Welcome to South Africa, and in typical Kate fashion, it was upside down. Immediately, I started laughing, and I don’t think I’ve stopped since then. I’m so thankful that I have a friend that gave up her comfortable life at home to come serve the Lord in a far away place like Durban. Kate spends her days on one of the local campuses, meeting with students, encouraging them in their faith, and praying for their relationships with the Lord. The smiles on those students’ faces show how they, too, are thankful for Kate and her generous heart. Tomorrow Kate, Lauren, Erica and I are leaving for Cape Town for a little R&R. I hear it’s a breathtaking city, so I can’t wait to start the next adventure to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment