Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

fun times.

I don’t think I mention enough how much fun it is living in South Africa with one of my best friends, Lauren. It’s still so bizarre to me how the Lord called us both on STINT in Durban. I couldn’t be more thankful for her friendship this year. She is home to me when I miss it the most….when I’m longing to be back in Alabama, she reminds me how precious our time here is.


One of my favorite things about our friendship is how we can talk about something for days, or even months and still not get tired of it. You’d think being with the same person 24/7 for a year, you would run out of things to talk about, but somehow we always find a way to amuse ourselves. There are so many things that happen in our regular day that would normally seem strange, but not here. Like the fact that we love freezing water in glasses to see the crystals it makes, or that we have a name for every living or non-living animal in our flat (a.k.a. Smith the snail that lives in our bathroom), or because we don’t have TV or unlimited internet we opt for snuggling up in a twin bed and watching a movie on our laptop, or that we (maybe just me) have random dance parties without music, or that we still don’t have resident passes and have to check in every time we enter our complex, or that our bathroom light has been out since we got here, and finally, my favorite, riding around in our car we’ve named “Dixie” with no radio except our iphone speaker! I think we’ve done a pretty good job of entertaining ourselves – I love our simple life!

1 comment:

Post a Comment